Genre: Remake, Arcade
- Project started on: April 19th 2013
- Project completed on: May 6th 2013
- Approximate time spent on project: 30 hours
My goal with Jesterquest 3D was to remake an old game from a dead system called 'Videoway' using 3D graphics. The controls are still 2D, but the maps are more or less made out of 3D elements and primitives. I wanted to remake the game while adding some power-ups that weren't present in the original.
The enemies have some simple pathing AI where they'll chase after the player or run away from him and there's some learning with how collisions work that was done. This game marks a trend in the way that I make levels in my games; they don't really exist up to the point where I instantiate them from primitives instead of making them all in advance.
About the game
JesterQuest 3D has the same goals of the original game, to find the nine treasures in each level. The levels are labyrinth-like grids where monsters roam. By using Swords found randomly, you can defeat enemies, which drop keys opening a room in the level. You need to collect food to stay alive and lights to see the enemies.
When your torch meter is empty, enemies get invisible. This is problematic when your sword meter is empty so invisible enemies can kill you without the character having much time to evade them.
When your sword meter is empty, enemies kill you instantly. Sometimes when the player kills an enemy, an item in the map will be turned into a powered-up version that wasn't in the original game. You also collect flowers that used to be only for points, but now they give you an extra life and help you by making meters drain slower the more flowers you have.
- WASD: Move up/down/left/right
- Spacebar: Pause/Unpause the game
- Apple: Restores health
- Apple of the Gods: Restores health and makes you move faster
- Torch: Brings you light
- Torch of truth: Restores the light meter and adds a glow to the enemy that has the key in the room you're in
- Sword: Fills your sword meter, allowing you to kill enemies
- Magic Sword: Fills your sword meter and stops the meter from draining until you change levels